Monday - Friday
9.00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The first known Lutheran services in Sturgis were held in the Old City Hall in 1919 with Rev. Jensen of Rapid City as the minister. Rev. N.A. Sterno, a missionary, also conducted services there for Lutherans that year and in 1919. It wasn't until the summer of 1920, however, that a congregation was organized as part of the English Lutheran church. Organization was finalized with adoption of the Congregational Constitution on October 23, 1920, and the filing of Articles of Incorporation with State on May 17, 1921.
Services were held at the Old City Hall until 1928 when a new church was completed on the northwest corner of First and Sherman St. on lots donated by the Women's Missionary Federation of the congregation and moved to a new site while construction began on the present Grace Lutheran Church building. Church services were held at the Dakota Theater and at the Presbyterian Church during the construction period.
The first services in the present church were held in April 1960.
Milestones in the congregation's first 60 years include:
June 26, 1920 - Grace Lutheran Women's Missionary Federation formed with Mrs. Bertha White as its first president.
August 27, 1922 - The first confirmation class (four students) graduated at services held in the Whitewood Church.
December 21, 1924 - The Women's Missionary Federation (Ladies Aid) donated lots it had purchased on the corner of First & Sherman St. to the congregation for a church building as a Christmas gift.
1927 - The first Sunday School classes were held at the Sherman St. home of Mrs. Bertha White who became the first Sunday School superintendent.
April 29, 1928 - The new church was dedicated with Rev. A.G. Bergsaker, District president, as the speaker.
1928 - Senior and junior choirs organized.
1937 - Lutheran Brotherhood organized with Ed Hanning as its first president.
March 8, 1941 - The newly organized Board of Deacons held its first meeting with E.E. Grunwald serving as president.
October 21, 1945 - Rev. Irvin Suby, former pastor, returned to speak at the church's 25th anniversary service program.
November 5, 1950 - The newly constructed Parish House adjacent to the church was dedicated.
August 1952 - Ruth Goetz, parish worker, began teaching first kindergarten class.
1953 - Church organ installed and dedicated.
1956 - Grace Lutheran Women's Missionary Federation reorganized into separate Circles.
May 24, 1959 - Ground broke for new church and building committee formed with S.M. Blair as chairman. Committee raised $101,372.50 and contract for new church awarded to Stoneberger Construction Co., Lead.
November 1, 1959 - Cornerstone of new church laid.
April 1960 - First services held in new church.
July 10, 1960 - New church dedicated with Bishop E.O. Gilbertson of the South Dakota District Evangelical Lutheran Church as featured speaker.
1960 - Congregation became part of the American Lutheran Church by merger of Evangelical Lutheran Church (Norwegian background), United Evangelical Church (Danish background) and American Lutheran Church (German background).
1963- Congregation sold lots east of the Parish House to First National Bank of the Black Hills which built parking lot there. Funds from the sale were used to build new parsonage on Fleet St.
February 24, 1974 - Mortgage note for church burned during Sunday services, making the congregation debt-free for the the first time in 54 years.
1978 - Schulmerich Carillons installed.
Hosted & Designed by
TNL Web Consulting